Saturday, January 26, 2013

Goodbye, Stan

Musial Memorials 1

Stan Musial's funeral is today. It's hard to explain to people from other places how much this means in St. Louis. It the context of another sport, it's as if you had David Beckham, Pele, Ronaldo and Diego Maradona rolled into one (without any of Maradona's vices) representing only one city for his career, and who also was the most kind, warm and humble person you'd ever hope to meet. And now gone.

Note the medal hanging around Stan's neck in the fourth picture. It is the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest honor that can be bestowed on a civilian in the United States. President Obama conferred the award on Musial two years ago.

These are some of the memorials left by the public around his statue at Busch Stadium.     

Musial Memorials 2

Musial Memorials 3

Musial Memorials 6

Musial Memorials 5

Musial Memorials 7

8 comments:

Jilly said...

A beautiful tribute, Bob. I like the way you explain who he is for those of us who don't know. You are so right, someone important to us locally or nationally so often isn't known elsewhere in the world. I suspect tho there will be world-wide sports fans who know of this revered sportsman.

William Kendall said...

A giant of the game. Thanks for posting the pictures! It really shows the way the city felt about him.

Memphis MOJO said...

I grew up near St. Louis when Musial was still playing. I remember a story. After a game, Musial was smoking a cigar in the clubhouse. There were photographers. Musial asked them to be careful about what they shot (since he was smoking). "Remember the kids," he told them.

Pat said...

I've only bought one autographed baseball in my life. It's signed by Stan Musial. I'm not a Cards fan, but I'm glad his team had two great years before he pasted. I hope it brought some joy to him.

Norma said...

My cousin Eunice (who passed away a few years ago) said while she loved all the Cardinals, there would never be anyone like Stan Musial as far as she was concerned.

Birdman said...

That cork-screw twist was iconic... Stan the Man.

Jack said...

Excellent tribute to Stan the Man, Bob. R.I.P.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Beautiful tribute Bob, he must have been such a special person to be so well loved, he will be remembered for all time I'm sure.