Monday, January 7, 2013

A Walk Along Washington Avenue: 1

Walk Along Washington 1

I needed a project, a basis to gather some new material. Sitting in my office yesterday on yet another Sunday, an idea occurred to me. I'd go for a walk, or a series of them, down Washington Avenue downtown, from the foot of Eads Bridge to 18th Street. It's a strip that has gone from ruin to revival, a nice summary of what St. Louis was, is and can be, with wonderful old architecture as a bonus. This will take some time and many visits.

We start with our convention center, officially named America's Center (because we're in the middle of the country. Get it? Har har!) The top shot shows the edge of the plexiglass awning over the main entrance on Washington with the U. S. Bank building across the street. Below, the view east on Washington with the Center on the left. The last picture is of the corner of the building, featuring the city's current marketing slogan: St. Louis Is All Within Reach. Again, because we're in the middle. I wonder how much they paid a consultant to come up with that one.

Blog posts for the rest of January may be intermittent and comments on your blogs may be less frequent. I've got the heaviest schedule on my professional calendar this month that I can remember. At least if you're self-employed, like I am, it's better than being idle.

Walk Along Washington 2

Walk Along Washington 3

6 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Yes, working hard is better than not working. And thanks for the welcome to the centre of America.

Olivier said...

c'est une bonne idee cette balade. j'aime bien l'enseigne du "visitor Information Center" avec "is" en decalage.
Tu as raison vaut mieux avoir du travail, la photo ne rapporte pas grand chose

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love this idea Bob, its a bit like me and my determination to show all of St George's Terrace. Yes more work rather than less is always good.
P.s. i took the picture of the Meerkat at the Perth Zoo a while back in winter..

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

From my time living in St. Louis as a teenager in the 1960's, my recollection of Washington Street is that it was a little frayed at the edges in comparison to Market St.

William Kendall said...

Splendid shots!

Stefan Jansson said...

Walking and shooting. Not a bad idea.