Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Classics

Downtown 2015-12-05 2

What with the demands of work, family and, um, this blog, I have way too little time to read. A partial solution is audio books I listen to while driving. I'm most of the way through Cambridge classicist Mary Beard's SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome, a superb work if you are interested in history. 

The Romans' architectural achievements come round and round again through the centuries. This is St. Louis' Old Court House, seen many time on these pages. If this ain't Roman, I'll eat my galerum.                

7 comments:

Halcyon said...

A great shot in black and white. I like this traditional architecture.

s.c said...

Of course you can say that they stole this from the Greeks but the cupola is indeed a real Roman invention.

Luis Gomez said...

Black and white works great here.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

As much as I'd like to see you 'ear your galerum'Bob :) I think you may be right! Fabulous perspective of the Old Court House..

William Kendall said...

It really is beautiful architecture.

cieldequimper said...

I'm not into Roman history... But I do like the inspired photo!

Jack said...

Two more buildings rendered nicely in lovely black and white. You are making me think I should try this with some of my own images. I usually convert to B&W only to rescue images that I like and yet which have problems in color.