Saturday, December 19, 2015

Farewell

Julie's Last Day 1

Julie Shanahan, my law partner of thirty years, retired yesterday. She is one of the finest human beings I have known, generous, patient and always thinking of others. One hell of a good lawyer, too. I looked at her empty office before I left last night and, um, got a bit moist-eyed.

Now, plush as Crowe & Shanahan's offices may be, we do not have a private beach. Our other lawyer, Don, is a free spirit. One wall of his office is papered with a scene of coastal Tahiti. It was an appropriate backdrop. Julie owns part of a condo in southwest Florida. She will spend the first quarter of 2016 there. And then what?

She is just 57. Sadly, like a good number of American lawyers, she's had enough. Too many hours, too much pressure, serious enough to demand another way of life. She might become a national park ranger. She might become a judge. Time will tell.

The crew wanted a picture of all of us. Below, from left to right:

Don, our other lawyer who's been with us 27 or 28 years; Cindy, my paralegal for 33 years (the woman is a saint) and Don's wife (when we hired Don she stuck her elbow in my ribs and told me to get him to take her out to dinner); Kaari, Julie's paralegal; Rachel, our receptionist for 20-something years; Julie; Jennifer, Julie's administrative assistant; Dawn, Don's paralegal for half of forever; Jazmyne, my administrative assistant; Kathy, our office Manager; and the old guy in the back. We are losing one of the family.                               

Julie's Last Day 2

11 comments:

Jilly said...

What a beautiful tribute to Julie - and the posing of her in front of the tropical scene is perfect! And what a great team you are. You are a good man, Bob. Proud to know you.

Sharon said...

Congratulations to Julie and my sympathies to you Bob. I'm sure you will miss her. That is a great looking team you've put together.

Norma said...

The one time I spoke to her, she was someone I instantly felt comfortable with. I hope she enjoys her retirement.

Now it's your turn, Bob. When are you going to devote all of your time to your photography?

Kate said...

Enjoy seeing a group photo of a happy staff...all with smiles on their faces. Leaving is always difficult for everyone involved but Julie is retiring awhile young and healthy with another phase of her life open to her. You sent her off with a loving tribute!

Jack said...

Nice send-off for Julie, Bob. She will soon discover that there is life after law, as she suspected. And, she will discover that southwest Florida has slightly better winter weather than St. Louis.

William Kendall said...

Both are terrific portraits, Bob!

Stefan Jansson said...

Smile for the camera, and it worked. Good luck to Julie.

Unknown said...

"She might become a national park ranger."... I would like that too!

AsAeenBySusan said...

Retirement is great. Good for her to get out at a young 57. I had to wait until I was 65, but I'm enjoying doing what I want, when I want. And even then, I didn't get such a lovely tribute as this. Well done.

Pat said...

Beautiful post to your ex-colleague. I know what it's like to leave a 'family' of co-workers.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh that's a lovely send off Bob. that's a tight little group you've got there.. always hard to lose a member. I think the more interesting alternative would be a park ranger, but she would probably make an excellent judge and I'm sure excellent judges are very much in demand.