Saturday, December 12, 2015

Boarders

Skateboarders Downtown 1

I ran into a group of skateboarders downtown on a Sunday afternoon. They went from one building to another, wheeling off architectural features until the security guard chased them away. There are a few more of these shots. 

Skateboards go back further than people may realize. I had one in the mid 60s when I was in high school. My friends and I would find an empty car on the 7 train in Queens early on Saturday morning, then try to slalom among the grab bars while the train was moving. It could be bruising.                     

4 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

I love photographing these guys.

William Kendall said...

They were doing this sort of thing when I was a teen too. Never got into it myself. I can think of three spots here in the city which have boarding facilities built into the parks, and they're well used and designed with input from boarders themselves.

Stefan Jansson said...

We had a guy here in Tungelsta who was a pro skater in California for many years. That guy was good.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Bob! Can you believe some of the risky things we got up to back then, and yet somehow our generation survived to tell the tale :)