Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Monsters Of Denver

Denver 2015-10-31 1

Contemporary sculpture can be a challenge.  Above, the Big Blue Bear, a 40 foot / 12 meter sculpture standing on the sidewalk, peering into the convention center. A Denver web site describes the work as injecting "a welcome sense of fun and playfulness" into a serious building. I don't think so. If I were inside and saw that nose and these paws pressed on the window I'd run for it.

Below, a piece in the Denver Art Museum literally called Made In China by Siu Jianguo. A whole lot of stuff we buy in this country is made in China, including the Macbook I'm writing this on. Are we inviting Godzilla into our homes?

Denver 2015-10-29 4

7 comments:

s.c said...

Who knows. The bear is a nice try to make a dull building more exciting.

William Kendall said...

The bear certainly works for me! Wow!

Linda said...

Oh, these are fun!

Halcyon said...

Love them! Lots of whimsy!

cieldequimper said...

M'not too sure about the made in China dinosaur but love the bear, wherever it's made!

Unknown said...

The bear looking inside the building is my favourite. So cool!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my! That's not something you see everyday Bob!