Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Atomic Cowboy

Grovefest 2015-10-03 17

Back on Manchester Avenue in The Grove, visiting the locally renowned Atomic Cowboy bar. I think the name is just meant to be goofy. The top photo has the eyeball trademark of local artist Peat Woellanger.

Some sad news: we learned that our friend and colleague Birdman in Portland, Maine, died suddenly of a heart attack on Sunday. I was one of the few members of the CDP community to meet him and see him without a bag over his head. He liked his privacy so I edited a picture of him accordingly. He was okay with it. 

You can see my post of July 30, 2012, about our meeting here. We will sorely miss his wit, his enthusiasm and his stories. The text on his posts were like Garrison Keillor miniatures. I am so fortunate that I was able to have brunch with him at one of his down-east hangouts.                
Grovefest 2015-10-03 18

7 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh Bob, that's devastating news. Like all who followed his brilliant blog I will really miss him. so sad.

Sharon said...

Oh Bob, I can't begin to say how sad I am at this news. It is truly devastating. I'm so glad you got to meet him. His wonderful stories and quirky sense of humor will be so missed by all of us who followed his blog.

William Kendall said...

I'm just now reading the news about Birdman... what a blow. He was quite a character.

Pat said...

Agree with the others' comments. So sad to hear about Birdman and it must have been a privilege to meet him.

cieldequimper said...

Before visiting STLDP, I had a look at Portland DP because I was wondering what Birdman had been up to. I can't believe it.
I'm so thankful that I'm gazing at Madeleine at the same time...

Unknown said...

I just love the corner above! Great find, Bob.

Stefan Jansson said...

Very sad to hear about Birdman's passing.