Wednesday, October 28, 2015

50th Anniversary

Gateway Arch 2015-10-25 4

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the completion of the Gateway Arch. It is an engineering marvel, formed in the shape of a catenary arch, the curve you get when you dangle a chain by its ends. Only flipped upside down. Stainless steel, 630 feet / 192 meters high, symbol of our city and source of endless fascination for me. Long may it shine. You can see an interesting illustration of the construction here.

There is a detailed special report in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Mrs. C and I are flying to Denver this morning, where I have a professional conference. We've driven from the airport into the mountains a few times but we don't know the city at all. It will be very busy and I will probably be light on visits to my friends' blogs but I promise some pix. Rocky Mountain high and all that.                    

10 comments:

s.c said...

It was and is a timeless design of its era.

Luis Gomez said...

Such a beautiful place!

William Kendall said...

Great photograph! The anniversary made one of our newspapers here this morning.

Sharon said...

I can't believe it's been 50 years! Wow.
Have fun in Denver. I worked there for awhile back in the early 90's and enjoyed the city very much.

Norma said...

Our Arch is magnificent...but I've always wondered why the statue of Lewis and Clark wasn't put there as well, framed by the Arch.

Halcyon said...

Can't believe it's that old. I have been in it once at least!

Pat said...

Couldn't have a better picture of the arch.

Jack said...

The arch was an inspired creation. Recognizable all over the world as "St. Louis."

PerthDailyPhoto said...

A sp!endid capture of the Arch Bob, totally worthy of a 50th Anniversary!

Stefan Jansson said...

another great photo of the Arch.