Saturday, March 7, 2015

There's A Billiken In My Pocket!

Tiny Totem 2015-02-28 28

Another iteration of the Billiken, the bizarre mascot of St. Louis University, where I attended college and law school. There are different stories of its origen and meaning (see here and here). I have personally visited The Billiken Store in Juneau, Alaska, and stayed in a small ryokan in Kyoto that had a Billiken in the sitting room.

One of the Articans had this pair hanging out of his coat pockets, scanning the street for the Tick Tock Tavern. They were successful.

Tiny Totem 2015-02-28 9              

5 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

How wonderful!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Your little Billiken has a strangely maniacal look in his eyes Bob :)

Unknown said...

So cool! :-)

Birdman said...

Ya, that's a Billiken, but can enlighten me on what a Hoosier is. My son went to IU, and I'm still puzzled. They had a mascot once, but it got too much bad press, and I think made the state look bad. They canned the thing. He looked like someone who tumbled out of Green Acres or the Beverley Hillbillies.
'Hoosier Mama'??????

William Kendall said...

Those look very peculiar, Bob!