Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bard of Avon vs. Drummer of Tokyo

Shakespeare In The Park 2014-05-17 12

We think of Shakespeare as so very English. Entertainment in this nation of immigrants comes from all over the world. So it's not surprising that part of the green show diversions was Japanese.

Osuwa Taiko is the local troupe performing a traditional Nihongo art. It's hard to sit or stand still when they perform (except for the fact that I am the clumsiest person you may ever meet). The rhythms are as complex as any you may hear in Africa or Brazil. The energy is - well - above my current capacity.

The drummers bellow Japanese words at peak moments. Now, my Japanese is more than nothing but less than something. I once introduced myself to a rural hotel clerk in reasonably correct Japanese, a very simple thing to do. He bellowed at me: sugoi!  Which means amazing! Even though I couldn't understand a damn thing he said after that the connection felt so good.

Apologies for so few comments this week. When we start law school in the US they teach a bunch of old English legal aphorisms. One of them says that the law is a jealous mistress. She's really biting my ass this week.                          

Shakespeare In The Park 2014-05-17 13

Shakespeare In The Park 2014-05-17 11

Shakespeare In The Park 2014-05-17 9

7 comments:

Tamera said...

Looks like fun and a great cultural experience!

Luis Gomez said...

Sounds wonderful Bob!

William Kendall said...

That's entirely different!

Sharon said...

You got some great photos of this colorful group. I enjoy seeing the energy these drummers put into their craft.

Jack said...

This looks like the Anglo edition of the Japanese drumming group. I once attended a concert put on by a gazillion Japanese drummers. It was a full body performance. I think my brain was still scrambled a week later.

Petrea Burchard said...

Great shots. I can almost hear the music and bellowing!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Impressive! I can just tell by the look of those drums and the way they're swinging those sticks around that the music would be more than fabulous.