Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Recreation

Graceland 11

Next stops on the tour of Graceland: places where Elvis could let his hair down. He had a lot of it.

For want of a better term, I guess you would call the space in the top picture a media room. It's visually unbearable. Yes, the ceiling is mirrored. It had three televisions because then-President Lyndon Johnson was said to have watched all three network evening news shows at the same time. Elvis' stereo and some of his LPs are on the left.

It that's too intense for your eyeballs, you could go to the adjacent billiard room. I don't know how many yards of fabric were used for this effect but It made the room awfully claustrophobic.

Last, we have two views of the notorious Jungle Room, an add-on at the back of the house. What's the deal here, Elvis as Tarzan?

We'll do at least two more days here, one on the car collection and one on the airplanes.          

Graceland 12

Graceland 13

Graceland 14

9 comments:

Olivier said...

la deuxieme photo est grandiose , on dirait le decor sorti d'un dessin animé

s.c said...

Good pic's. When I was there it was forbidden to take pictures but that is changed now so to see.

Luis Gomez said...

Bob, great shots. I have truly enjoyed this photographic tour.

Suzanne said...

I have no words for Graceland that could adequately describe Elvis' taste. However I love your commentary.

Norma said...

Yes, this has been seriously entertaining!

William Kendall said...

I have to agree with your commentary!

I look at that billiards table, and feel sorry for it being in that room...

Pat said...

Have to admit that I think Elvis' pad is kind of cool. I guess I never even left the sixties. These rooms remind me of the selection of 'theme rooms' offered by the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, California. Ever been there? Their dining room is Pepto Bismol pink....

Jack said...

One of my mother's favorite sayings was, If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice bit of American history.