Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Chow Down With The Hound Dog

Graceland 9

The tour of Graceland continues.

Elvis' dining room isn't particularly large for an upper middle class American home. The furnishings and decor are, well, not in my budget and probably didn't make the food taste better. I wonder how often the family actually used it. Don't drop any pizza on that carpet.

The kitchen is remarkable for being so ordinary. It's spacious but not exceptional for a suburban home of a prosperous family. The color scheme would cause people to swoon today but it was common in the 60s.

One of the takeaways from visiting Graceland is that the scale of the house is nothing unusual. Some decorator got to spend a ton of money but the results - so far - are not surprising. But wait until tomorrow when we get to the casual rooms.                               

Graceland 8

Graceland 10

8 comments:

Olivier said...

autant le coin cuisine fait assez sobre, autant la salle a manger est tres clinquante

s.c said...

I visited Graceland in 2008 and was amazed that it was not so over the top as I thought it would. In reality it was real modest for one so rich as Elvis. I enjoyed my visit then as I hope you did also.

Luis Gomez said...

Absolutely amazing images. Thanks Bob.

Pat said...

Graceland is one place I really would like to visit. Your photos make me want to even more. I remember carpeting in the kitchen...

William Kendall said...

The kitchen, carpet nonetheless, feels at least more like a home.

Jack said...

It is fascinating how tastes change. I don't see a single item in this house that I admire. Although, "mid-century" has revived interest from trendsetters. But, no one has ever used "trendsetter" and my name in the same sentence.

Norma said...

I'd get lost in that kitchen. But then, I get lost in all kitchens.

Stefan Jansson said...

Great to see, the kitchen looks quite normal.