Thursday, April 24, 2014

3 PM: Fire To The North, Water To The East

Fire North Of The Dome

Gateway Geyser

I was going to post some more spring flowers today but, you know, more flowers. So I was sitting at my desk at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon in my usual torpor when I glanced out my window to the north (I'm in a northeast corner). High, billowing black smoke was rising from somewhere behind the football stadium. I looked at a couple of local news sites and found nothing. 

Then a glance to east across the Mississippi: the Gateway Geyser was having its mid-afternoon blow. This is directly across the river from the Arch. From my angle it's behind a grain elevator. It goes off at noon, 3 and 6 during the warm months, rising as high as the Arch itself when the wind is calm, like yesterday. The only one in the world that's higher is in Saudi Arabia.

Now if they could only direct that water canon back to the Missouri side.                       

4 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

These are great. Didn't know about the Gateway Geyser. Thank you Bob.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice reporting from the office window Bob.

William Kendall said...

I didn't know there was a geyser setup there either.

That fire's definitely one to be taken seriously.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Did you ever find out what the fire was about Bob? Never a dull moment out there huh :)