Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Lonliness Of The Rail Yard

Union Pacific Freight Cars

Okay, it's completely corny and it's the wrong state but what I can't get out of my head as I write this post is the old Waylon Jennings song:

Between Hank Williams' pain songs and
Newberry's train songs and Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain
 
I haven't heard a train song in a long time. Train pictures, though, are always at hand. The graffiti-permitted floodwall faces the yard in the first two pictures.  The ironwork in the bottom shot forms part of the base of a railroad-only bridge that crosses the Mississippi closer to the Arch.The monument is in the background somewhere but you can't see it in the mist.

Something different to shoot today: a brand new bridge across the big river. It's open to pedestrians today and cars tomorrow. Pix on Sunday morning.               

Union Pacific Freight Cars 2

Ironwork

7 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Absolutely love the last one. You've made me want to go and take pictures of trains now.

s.c said...

They have for sure a kind of blues atmosphere. The last one has the most impact for me and the B&W makes it only stronger.

William Kendall said...

The last one is particularly outstanding, and these work so well in black and white. I look forward to what you've got in store for tomorrow, Bob!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I agree with the above comments regarding the power of the last photo you posted today.

A new bridge over the Mississippi is a big deal. I look forward to your photos. Hope it is a nice day.

Lynette said...

Love train songs and train photos and trains, period. I figured you'd be on the new bridge today. I'm looking forward to the photos, Bob!

Jack said...

Bob, your final photo today is a complete winner. Keep it in mind for the competitions you like to enter.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Am so in love with that last shot, I wish I'd taken it :) that's definitely one to remember. I like the others too Bob, they really do give one the feeling of total bleak!