Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Genetically Modified

Barkus Parade 2014-02-23 4

I've seen this breed of dog, and maybe with this owner, at the parade before. Don't remember the name - Jilly, an expert in all things canine, would know - but I don't like what's going on. The little animal is bred to look like a pathetic cripple, its left eye scrunched up and tongue always lolling out the left side of the mouth. I find it more sad than cute.

The woman with her daughter and dog below are doing a pink/mauve theme. Note the matching stuffed toy dog in the girl's arm. The big parade on Saturday will get way crazier than this.

Some scholar somewhere must have researched the history and motives of parades. Maybe had its start with victorious armies but I'd love to know what keeps the tradition going, particularly at events such as this.                           

Barkus Parade 2014-02-23 8

8 comments:

Virginia said...

I would love to see a big parade of rescue dogs and cats with their owners. That's what we need to be promoting!
V

William Kendall said...

I don't know the type of dog either.

The two dogs in the second shot are cute.

cieldequimper said...

Ah, I've often wondered about parades and particularly why we don't have so many here!

Yes, poor dog...

Jilly said...

Some dogs are bred so small yet parts remain big, like teeth and tongues. This dog has an abnormally long tongue and can't hold it inside his mouth. I've seen this before. I too don't know the breed - looks the size of a chihuahua but the face and ears aren't quite right. Has the look of a Papillon too - perhaps a mix. That mouth tho is a deformity. Owner obviously loves the dog, so she is lucky.

Stefan Jansson said...

I had no idea about the dog thing, sounds horrible.

Pat said...

If that dog is bred to look like that, it is indeed a shame. Must have a hard time eating, too. I'm not for that. However, one good thing I've seen recently is this Facebook page.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I just don't get the mixed breeding thing with dogs, it's too horrible but as Jilly says this gent looks like he loves this little sweetie.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Breeding dogs in such a manner is a disgrace.

I wouldn't come near such a parade either, apart from for photographing it like you. I'm really not into this whole dog/cat business.