Saturday, August 17, 2013

Visual Memory

Freddie's Market

Freddie's Market is a neighborhood grocery store just steps from my home in Webster Groves. Freddie's son, Larry, and his wife, Kathy, own it now. Our sons were close friends in elementary school. I've driven or walked by this place a thousand times. It's just part of my enviornment.

So last weekend I was wandering abound in one of those I'm bored, I have no ideas but damn I need some pictures moods. I drove by the store lit with beautiful late afternoon sun. The graphic strength and simplicity reminded me of art based on words, numerals and symbols like the Demuth 5, the work of Robert Indiana and the person who is probably my favorite contemporary artist, Jenny Holzer. The medium is the message and vice versa.                       

3 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I checked Robert Indiana's work and I see what you mean Bob.. So good to hear of family businesses doing well these days.

William Kendall said...

Good to know the place carries on. I do like the look of the building, from what we see here.

Lynette said...

Thanks for telling us about Freddie's. Here in Portland, folks use Freddie's as a nickname for the Fred Meyer grocery stores, which are part of Kroger. The buildings are not this artistic.