Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Big Suds

Brewery 2013-08-04 1

A few years ago when Mrs. C and I visited Tibet, our plane landed outside Lhasa. Our group went to lunch at a little restaurant nearby. The first advertising sign I saw in the Tibetan countryside was for Budweiser. The picture of a beer can said "Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis MO USA." 

Not sure why I've posted few pictures of one of The Lou's most famous institutions. Maybe because I don't drink much beer (and when I do it's usually the main local microbrew, not the maxibrew). Maybe it's because the place isn't that photogenic except for this iconic sign. Management recently tore down the decades-old neon sign and replaced it with an energy-efficient LED version.

There are some bizarre decorative details scattered around. The beast below looks like a wolf in German garb, gnawing a bone with a stein of Bud at the ready. Does this say something about the taste of the designers and perhaps the taste of the beer?                     

Brewery 2013-08-04 2

6 comments:

TheChieftess said...

Great shots!

cieldequimper said...

It looks like an Oktoberfest nightmare!

I didn't know that Budweiser was based in Saint-Louis. Interesting though I don't drink beer at all.

Olivier said...

Tres bonne la gargouille, j'aime beaucoup.Mais je suis pas un fan de biere, Comme ciel de quimper, je n'en bois pas

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Imagine Budweiser being the first thing you see when arriving in Tibet, I wouldn't have expected that..not in Tibet. The only way I can ever drink beer is in summer mixed with lemonade, it's called a shandy, tres refreshing :)

Sharon said...

When I was working there, I did take the brewery tour once and I did enjoy it. They told us the story of those guys hanging out on the corner of the building but, I'll be darned if I can remember it. I'll never forget after parking the car, I was walking toward the place where the tour starts and I saw the most beautiful Clydesdale standing so perfectly still that I thought it was a statue. Then he moved his head slightly and I realized he was real. It was the most perfect looking horse I'd ever seen.

William Kendall said...

A decidedly peculiar choice for a gargoyle...