Friday, August 30, 2013

An African Storyteller

2013 International Festival 8

More pix from the International Festival. This animated woman was telling African folk tales. I confess, though, that I was paying more attention to the images than the story. It that true of many photographers? By concentrating on the photographs you may miss the experience.

The young woman to the speaker's left gave punctuation to the story with a rhythm instrument that I think was made from a gourd.
               
2013 International Festival 7

2013 International Festival 5

8 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Love the colorful outfit in the second shot.

cieldequimper said...

Well you've made me want to hear the stories with these beautiful portraits.

Stefan Jansson said...

Very true. I'm usually in my own little world when I'm out shooting portraits.

Birdman said...

Yup!
Lookin' at treesyou sometimes miss the forrest. But these are beautiful trees.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

The conflict between paying attention to the speaker or concentrating on photos is a problem for me every time we take a group tour. Usually Julie or I will stay close to hear the speaker while the other one of us strays to take photos.

William Kendall said...

Nicely done with portrait shots today, Bob!

Jack said...

This young girl has such a charming expression.

Do we lose the real experience while we are focusing on the visual experience? You bet your bippee we do. I was just thinking about this last night, while I was taking photos at a rock concert. The music was terrific, but it barely registered on me as I tried to embody the concert in a good photograph.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Yup I agree also..when you're thinking of the angle and composition you miss a lot of the actuality..that's why at Empire last week I took so few shots, it was way to unique and special to miss .. These portraits are beautiful Bob, did you use a prime lens?