Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Walk Along Washington Avenue: 3 The MAC

Walk Along Washington 8

The old headquarters of the Missouri Athletic Club has sat for a century at the corner of Washington and Broadway. Its stated mission is "to be the premier athletic, social and dining club for business, professional and civic leaders and their families in the St. Louis area." I think that means a place for monied white guys to go to the gym and bar, have a steak and cut business deals away from the riff-raff. Of course, they admit women and people of color these days but everyone has to pay to play. I do not belong. As Groucho Marx said, I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

The distinctive logo is known at the cherry diamond. The top and middle pictures were taken moments apart, just before and after the lights were turned on at twilight. I can't decide which I like better.

TOMORROW:  it's Thursday, and you can see the Arch from at least one place on Washington.

Again, sorry for so few comments. It's nutso month at work. 

Walk Along Washington 9

Walk Along Washington 10

9 comments:

cieldequimper said...

From the thumbnail, I thought this was the Paris underground!

Memphis MOJO said...

I like silhouettes, but in this case I think I like the first one better.

Dianne said...

Hi Bob ... this is my first visit to St Louis Daily and I love that Cherry Diamond sign .... oh! and the quote from Groucho Marx brought a smile to my face!

Stefan Jansson said...

I think your description is spot on. And I like the composition and color of that first photo.

William Kendall said...

I'm with Groucho on this one!

I do like the design of that sign...

Norma said...

I had lunch with a friend at the MAC once. A long time ago. Her son was the chef there at the time.

Virginia said...

I vote for the ROUGE of course but the silhouette is nice too! Reminds me of the Mason's symbol I think.
V

Jack said...

I go for the color, but that is consistent with my usual aesthetic, which favors color over drab black and white. (Your second isn't B&W, but same idea.)

Lynette said...

Interesting, Bob. We have a MAC here, too, the Multnomah Athletic Club. When I Googled it, the first hit is "Public Home Page - Multnomah Athletic Club" which has as a sub-heading, A private athletic and social club in Portland, Oregon. I've heard it is exclusive and expensive. Not my cup of tea.

I like the cherry diamond with its lights on.