Saturday, May 19, 2012

Balance Bar

.
Skateboarders 1

When I was walking around The Grove neighborhood last weekend, I discovered that a vacant lot on Manchester Avenue had been paved. Someone, maybe the city, had fenced it off and brought in some ramps and platforms, creating a skateboard park. This athletic young man jumped onto and slid across a steel bar. It made me remember seeing boarders sliding down bannister railings.

During high school, my friends and I sometimes went skateboarding in Central Park. (Yes, there were skateboards in the 60s!) We loved going early on a Saturday morning, looking for an empty first or last car on the Number 7 train from Queens to Manhattan. The idea was to slalom among the vertical hand poles while the train was moving. Utter folly. I'm not sure how I survived.

Skateboarders 2

Skateboarders 3

10 comments:

Lynette said...

Great trio of photos, Bob. Great memories, too. I remember my brother's skateboard from back then--not much longer than a holiday dinner turkey platter but not nearly so wide, more like the width of some 1970s neckties.

Paul in Powell River said...

Very nice action shots!

Gunn said...

Great action shots!!

cieldequimper said...

Oh wow. I'd be writhing on the ground.

Birdman said...

Yikes! This seems a lot safer. I can see you were trouble in the 60's. Me too!

Birdman said...

Land and head out...near Jetport? Hilton Garden Inn, Embassy Suites, Comfort Inn(9/11 hijackers stayed here)

Check out a bit of the city... in city? Holiday Inn By the Bay, Hilton Garden Inn Downtown, Hampton Inn Downtown. There are many, all $$$$$.

Depends what you want. In and Out? A little to check out city/dinner etc.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Great shots Bob. When you think back it really is amazing to think we survived, although when I hear about some of the insane things youngsters do today, it horrifies me!!

Jack said...

The first shot is exceptional, Bob.

Skateboards in the '60s? They didn't get to the part of Massachusetts where I grew up.

Pat said...

Agree with Jack about #1. I do remember 'primitive' surfboards from the 60's....

brattcat said...

fabulous series of shots.