Sunday, October 16, 2011

Signs Of The Times

.

2011-10-14 OSL to BoA rally 11

Placards, posters and shirts from Friday's Occupy St. Louis march. Their camp is just a block from my office so I have had a chance to observe them. As time goes on, the more I admire their righteous anger over social justice issues and the more I despair over the naivete of at least some.

Invest in my future? You bet. I'm a student with an uncertain future? Well, which of us wasn't? (I would have been at least in the running for least likely to succeed in my high school class.) Dissent is patriotic? Right on! Wall Street sent all our jobs to China? Take a course in macroeconomics (not to excuse China's exploitation of its own workers).

But that tee shirt is delicious. I don't wish to offend our Republican friends - my father was a Republican and we got along with each other fine in later years - and everyone has the right to his or her opinion. But, um, talk about hitting the nail on the head...

2011-10-14 OSL to BoA rally 2 (Vote Republican)

2011-10-14 OSL to BoA rally 14

2011-10-14 OSL to BoA rally 12

11 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I am not sure I understand off of their messages, and I don't that they do either. I also do not understand why the Tea Party people are so negative about the Occupy Wall Street people. Aren't the Tea Party people against the Wall Street bailout? They may have some things in common.

I watched the Ken Burns documentary on Prohibition today. Fascinating. It was, in part, an exploration of the power of single-issue political zealots.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love your documentation of the demonstration Bob, but the politics gets more and more complicated as it goes on!!

s.c said...

Great signs of this time. Hope something good comes out of it. It sure is necessary

Birdman said...

Hilarious t-shirt. ... all sound and fury signifying...???!!

Speedway said...

I went to our city's first Occupy event and plan to return. I found the people to be educated and articulate. Some of the speakers were off topic, but that is to be expected. As the movement gethers energy, perhaps they can kind of focus those speakers' efforts more. As for the Tea Party and the Occupy movement co-operating on their shared interests, I think the above T-shirt speaks volumes as to why this would not be possible. By the way, where Can I get one of those shirts?

Olivier said...

le mouvement prend beaucoup d'ampleur aux etats unis, malheureusement en Europe il commence a devenir violent.

Pat said...

Perth Daily beat me to all I wanted to say. Excellent shots and commentary.

cieldequimper said...

All over Europe, all over the USA...

Just read yet another article about Mrs Bachmann today. Ruined my breakfast.

Norma said...

Well, when you put it THAT way.... :-)

Jack said...

Interesting documentation of the protests, Bob. I think I will hold my opinions . . .

Gunn said...

Clear messages.
Great documentary!