Sunday, October 30, 2011

Delirium

.
2011-10-28 World Series Game 7 - 13

The crowd went wild. The town went wild. People had a very good time. I'm happy that the night brought joy to this sometimes hidebound city.

Below, star catcher Yadier Molina jumps into the arms of relief pitcher Jason Motte after the final out; a storm of confetti is blasted from the roof; and a one-word summary of everyone's thoughts.

Many of the world's people follow some sports team, their emotions rising and falling with their heroes' fortunes. It seems strange to me that people identify so deeply and find such personal euphoria in the outcome of a game. You know, this too shall pass. Sic transit gloria mundi, Wheel Of Fortune, Second Law of Thermodynamics and all that. The Cardinals, though, are the class of the National League (international readers: the other one is the American League). Only the New York Yankees, the best team that money can buy, have won more. No one else in the National League comes close. We've been in the World Series three times in the last eight years, winning twice. Since there are 30 Major league teams, that's an exceptional achievement.

As my daughter and I left the stadium, one of the ushers cheerfully reminded the fans that opening day of the next season is just 24 weeks away.

2011-10-28 World Series Game 7 - 10

2011-10-28 World Series Game 7 - 12

2011-10-28 World Series Game 7 - 9

7 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I'm glad some go wild over sports.

Sharon said...

Congrats on the win! I was rooting for the Cardinals! Love these shots of all the happy people.

Birdman said...

What a last 2 1/2 months for the Cards! Congrats are in order. Me? Will/Can the Sox ever regroup after their NIGHTMARE of an ending????????

Jilly said...

Love that shot with all the paper or confetti or whatever it is tumbling down. I don't understand any American games - baseball, basketball or American football but I know what happy crowds means...well done.

Lynette said...

I believe I'll come back to the post now and then for quite a while. Thanks! I am very happy for St. Louis and the Cardinals. So glad that you got to attend that special game!

Unknown said...

Love the top portrait and the falling 'paper snow' shot! The 'Yes' at the bottom is so cool too. :-) Great photos indeed.

Nathalie said...

I had to chuckle at cieldequimper's comment. Low key at its best.

I guess I'll second her. I find it hard to go wild on watching sports. I'd rather go out and get some exercise myself than watch sports on TV. Having said that, the only sports I ever watched live was the Rolland Garros tennis tournament and I loved it : the crowd's presence, cheering, shared emotion... it was wonderful. I'd have to try with other sports but I've never had a chance.