Saturday, February 26, 2011

781-GUNS (Gun Weekend, Part 1)

.
781-GUNS

Much of the world knows that a lot of America is gun happy. I won't try to assess the psychology and sociology of it - frontier spirit, traditions of hunting for food, fierce individualism, the thrill of packing big heat, all that stuff. In my state, Missouri, you can carry a concealed weapon into most places (like, um, church or a baseball game) as long as you pass a simple background check. As you walk down the street, you have no way to know who is armed.

I've shot a gun a couple of times. Once in college, plonking beer cans with a 22 on a Vermont farm. In recent years, taking a shotgun from my in-laws in Kansas, trying (unsuccessfully) to hit clay pigeons. I did get a tree straight on, though. I don't want a gun. I don't like guns. Guns are for shooting people and animals. Peace to all our brothers and sisters, I say.

The place above is on Manchester between Hampton and Kingshighway. There will be another STL gun photo tomorrow.

Cafe Cioccolato Today's post on Downtown St. Louis 365 is about mystery and chocolate.

The Bull's Eye

8 comments:

Mo said...

I have to admit I do not understand the gun culture of America.

Birdman said...

Quite a contrast from yesterday... flute and now guns. They are a way of the world.

cieldequimper said...

Though I can understand the frontier spirit, it's hard for any European to believe you'd want to walk down the street with a gun.

Virginia said...

I'm with you B. You do get around is all I have to say. I need to get out more, but I might need a gun for some places! :)
V

samizdat said...

Militant individualism. An ignorance of, and disdain for, your fellow human being, bordering on sociopathic pathology; a narcissistic ideology characterized by the delusion that you, as an individual, are an entity, an island, if you will, unto yourself.

Nathalie H.D. said...

I don't mind people practising at shooting ranges as long as their use of guns is limited to that.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Ooh, love that 2nd one... Nice B&W vignette thing.

Hollie said...

Love that picture. Looks real country.