Thursday, April 1, 2010

CDP Monthly Theme Day: Red

.
So it's red today, is it? Here's a favorite old red in a portrait by Andy Warhol that adorns my office wall. (Just a print. Not a real Warhol.) So in that sense this post has some remote connection to St. Louis. Um, and to red. Workers of the world unite! Waive the red banner high! You have nothing to lose but your access to Blogger. I have much respect for China after two visits but, you know, then there's all that other stuff.


During the Cultural Revolution, the
de facto national anthem of China was a stirring number called The East Is Red. Click the player bar below to listen to it. It's a lot more snappy than the official anthem, The March of The Volunteers.




By the way, CDP geezers may remember that there was another red theme day on July 1, 2007.
Here's what I had to say about it back then.


>Click here to view thumbnails for all CDP theme day participants
.

12 comments:

Oakland Daily Photo said...

I laughed out loud as your photo unfurled. You said to think outside the box and I puzzled about what you'd come up with. You didn't disappoint. Carry on, comrade.

Olivier said...

ah ah tres bon choix ;o)) j'adore

Chuck Pefley said...

Since this image hangs on your office wall, I believe you resorted to thinking "inside" the box ... assuming your office has the traditional 4 walls, floor and ceiling -:)

Well done, Bob. Unique perspective, as always. LOL!!

Kim said...

Okay Bob, so I knew you were going to do this and came over here to see how you'd pull it off, saw this great image, and now have the Beatles singing an earworm through my brain. . ."but if go carrying pictures of Chairman Mau. . . . don't you know it's gonna be, shoobedoo, alright. . .:
As ever, a fun and creative take on theme day, and most any day for that matter.
-Kim

Jilly said...

Oh clever stuff, Bob! Love the interpretation and your mind.

brattcat said...

I considered posting an image of Bernie Sanders but because I've never taken a photograph of him I thought it might be cheating. Way to go, Bob.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Coming here today was an absolute must. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed - aha, you've done it again!

(and yes I remember the 2007 Red, I lived in Sydney back then)

Virginia said...

Nice one comrade. And Merci, for once I'm NOT a geezer around here. That was before my time, as I rarely get to say anymore. My poison? Well some nice Jack Daniels with a little club soda thank you.
V

Kat said...

Nicely done!

cieldequimper said...

Oh lol, you've done it again. I stopped the anthem quite quickly, gimme Brahms please, and a glass of Scotch.

Halcyon said...

This is the most original entry I've seen yet. :)

Louis la Vache said...

Mme la Vache, who was born and raised in China, had six family members murdered by Mao's hordes during the "Cultural Revolution".