Sunday, January 17, 2010

STL DPB On The Road: Rhyolite, Nevada

.
Rhyolite, Nevada, is a ghost town just outside Death Valley National Park. Gold was discovered in 1904. By 1908 the population swelled to 10,000. The mines ran out and by 1920 only 20 people lived there. Today, no one, but the US Bureau of Land Management preserves it as a historical site. On the south edge of town is the Goldwell Open Air Museum, a bizarre outdoor sculpture park including these ghostly (hah! what a pun) figures. We learned that people stood under sheets of canvas while a type of resin and plaster was poured over them. They remained still for 20 minutes in the desert sun until the sheets began to harden. This group is part of a Last Supper. You can see another photo I took of the whole tableau here.

By the way, for U "R" us' declaration of the theme of the trip, click here.

15 comments:

J. Roberts said...

Incredible picture Bob.

Hilda said...

Creepy. As befits a ghost town, I guess. Your photo is fabulous though! Love the different textures.

brattcat said...

Wow! What an eerily beautiful shot.

Luis Gomez said...

Beautiful!

Chuck Pefley said...

Creativity is so fascinating.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Thank you for opening our eyes to this unique creativity. The depth of field in your photo is remarkable, from the wood grain to the mountains and sky. The sky in the photo of the whole group of figures really adds to the eery mood of the ghostly figures.

Wayne said...

I've driven from Tonopah to Vegas more than once. I know about Rhyolite but I never made the detour.

I guess I'm one of those dumb drivers who just keeps going once they're on the road.

Stessie said...

Haunting...

Sharon said...

It's been a long time since I've been here. Long before the sculpture garden. I like it.

PJ said...

I hope you took a shot with someone sitting in there for a Crowe family dada performance of sorts.

I think the desert brings out the great religions in people, I don't know if you can call Burning Man a great religion, though.

Virginia said...

Well this is stunning. Only you would find it ! I'm off to see what else I've missed while seeing Paree.
V

PS I don't like it "down on the farm" anymore.

Eric said...

Very Cool shot Bob.
Thanks.
And thanks for all the great comments you have left over on my blog. I really enjoy reading them and appreciate the kind words.

This place is actually down the road a piece from my neck of the woods. I am in Salt lake this week.

patty said...

great shot!

Jilly said...

How utterly beautiful - first the sculpture but secondly your photograph of it. Stunning! I'm loving this road trip.

Babzy.B said...

Strange and well spotted !