Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here, the inscription over the gates of hell in The Inferno, the first part of Dante Alighieri's fourteenth-century epic poem Divine Comedy. Some people with their noses in the air feel that way about White Castle, a fast food joint in some American metropolitan areas, insisting that it is truly culinary hell. I contend that sliders, as the diminutive, steam-grilled hamburgers are often called, reflect a cultivated taste. They won fame among the international stoner set in the classic film Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. They must permeate your soul, or at least your arterial walls, from childhood to be understood. There was one in the neighborhood in New York City where I grew up. My whole body knows how delicious they are. Therefore, I enter with the expectation of paradise.

By the way, you can calculate which circle of hell to which you will be consigned by taking a simple test. Most White Castle patrons would end up in the Third Circle with the gluttons but your results may vary. Click here.

10 comments:

Olivier said...

j'adore le b&w et l'effet que tu as fait, cela rend vraiment bien

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I saw White Castle's often in the City during my youth in St. Louis, but my parents never even thought of stopping there, and neither did I.

Steak 'n Shake was the hamburger treat my friends and I favored.

Pat said...

I remember seeing White Castles...when younger and fairly recently, but where? I was never attracted to them....something sterile about a white restaurant, not inviting....But perhaps I should try!

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Nice, perfect narrative use of Lensbaby. I was compelled to take that test. Level 6. I'd like to think of myself as a level 1 kinda guy, but I guess it's a bit of an arbitrary distinction.

Virginia said...

Is a slider anything like those little square Krystal burgers that I could pack away 4-5 at a time as a teen? Lord have mercy they were good. I didn't take the test. I know I'm a 1 ! HA
V

PS Does taking paper clips from work count as stealing???

Chuck Pefley said...

I'll pass on the fore-knowledge, but thanks for the link. LOL!

cieldequimper said...

I'm sorry to say I'm a heretic! ;-)

Louis la Vache said...

Ok, Bob, «Louis» is on his way to Purgatory, scoring HIGH in gluttony. E-mail him a coupla Sliders on his way down, will ya? He's hungry!

brattcat said...

You wicked boy.

PJ said...

I don't eat at fast food places much and when I do it's as a last resort. Then I look at all the trash I've generated...a bad experience all around but I appreciate your nostalgia.