Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday Arch Series

.
An exercise: this photo has a close relative appearing today on GATEWAY. They are parts of a seven image sequence of the same subject, shot at 2/3 stop intervals from -2 stops to +2 stops. The aperture remained the same and the shutter speed varied. They were intended to become part of a seven layer HDR of the Arch. However, when I blended them in Photomatix, the sky came out with a marked box-shaped weave pattern in. It looked like fabric. Actually, it looked terrible. If any HDR experts can explain that I'd appreciate it.

So, I started playing with the individual pictures in the sequence. This one was -2 stops (ISO 100, f 6.3, 1/800 sec., spot metering). I always shoot in RAW so I could mess around with the image a lot. This is what came out.


Click to see the companion photo on GATEWAY. Which do you prefer, assuming that either one does something for you?

3 comments:

Virginia said...

This one gets my vote. The sky is an odd blue and I think that's what I like. We need to chat about RAW sometime.
V

Anonymous said...

I like the one in color better...I guess I am just not a fan of black and white....

nathalie in avignon said...

The b&w version on Gateway doesn't work for me at all. It's bland and lacks any punch at all. This one is MUCH better.
But the "detour" one of August 10th is a little gem - so humorous!