Saturday, August 1, 2009

Portraits of St. Louis Artists: Paula Lincoln

.
Paula Lincoln produced some of the most unusual art I saw at Open Studios Weekend. A large white wall was covered with cut-out silhouettes, mostly black but with wood tones in the foliage at the bottom. A crow flies away from a larger-than-life man wearing a top hat. Plants cover the ground; Lincoln pointed out to me that one was foxglove. I think the plant at the left is a thistle. Like a Rorschach test, the meaning is left to the viewer's imagination. The piece reminds me of the work of Kara Walker.

TOMORROW: a musical interlude in the artists' portrait series.

7 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

I love this series that you are working on. Artist are wonderful subject.

Jilly said...

I'm loving this artist series. A super portrait yesterday.

Years ago silhouettes used to be so popular. I've an old silhouette dated 1791 - in a tiny oval ebony frame. I think I'd not want a bird such as this artists tho. Too reminiscent of the birds but perhaps that's being silly. Thanks for the link to Kara Walker. Indeed so similar.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

OH, very interesting--I can see I will have to come back and explore some more!!! :-D

Virginia said...

Creative people like Paula Lincoln always amaze me. Where does it come from? Her work is so very interesting.
V

cieldequimper said...

I love the silhouettes!

Ming the Merciless said...

I like this portrait a lot, and the artwork too. Yes, the silhouettes do resemble Kara Walker's work but Kara Walker's art is more cartoonish and tends of have a social commentary.

That said, I prefer these to Kara Walker's work.

Anonymous said...

I love Paula's artwork! She is so creative and inventive. Paula, if you read this, I'd love to reconnect with you, please contact me? Shirley (Sarrach) Crowell