Sunday, August 9, 2009

Depression-Era Civic Architecture

.
For decades, this building housed the federal courts in St. Louis. When the feds built this shiny new building in the next block, they gave the old one to the state. It now holds the 22nd Judicial Circuit of Missouri, the St. Louis Circuit Court. This went up as federal construction during the Depression. Like much other government architecture of the era, it has a sense of power, heaviness and bombast. Maybe that's why an HDR image suits it so well.

I think we'll go back to the artists portraits tomorrow. Maybe I could feature myself.

3 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Bombastic is the right word. Still, part of our heritage... Sensitive artists are the best! ;-)

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

Dramatic HDR! Makes me wonder what kind of architecture we're going to build in this recession.

Victor said...

For all it's bombasticity, I kinda like it. Especially in your HDR rendition. It's a powerful photo.