Monday, July 6, 2009

STL DPB On The Road: A Last Picture From New Jersey

.
We are back in St. Louis as this post goes up Monday morning, but this is literally the final image as we left my sister's house in New Jersey. What monsters lie there? The family keeps a wreath on their front door year-round. This summer a robin built a nest in the center. Mom went off looking for food while this little peeper, two or three days old, waited for chow. A couple of siblings were in the back of the nest, all of them with their beaks resting on the edge.

7 comments:

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

Gee, newborn birds can be extremely ugly. I guess this little guy needs to grow up to reveal his beauty! Nice macro!

Virginia said...

My daughter rescued one that fell out of the nest in her yard. She went online and found out what to feed it (moistened cat food and hard boiled eggs) with a popsicle stick every hour or so for a few days. She then took it to a wildlife refuge here in town. The little fellow actually got more feathers and gained weight under her care. This little peeper has a long way to go. You gotta love his "hair" ! Great shot B.
V

PS I had a family nest in the planter that hangs on the wall right next to my front door!

Sharon said...

Great shot! I can't imagine it living on someone' front door! Amazing.

cieldequimper said...

Wishing it a long and happy life. It's so cute!

Meri said...

Oh my gosh - what a great shot. I can't say that he's a fine feathered friend yet. Looks a little prehistoric.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what it would look like when it has grown up. The few hairs (looks more like hair than feathers) on its head, I think, make it a cutie.

Ming the Merciless said...

How ugly and beautiful is that little chick? Love the photo!!