Monday, June 22, 2009

You Could Even Say It Glows

.
The wacky architecture of the Civil Courts Building in the sunset, with a certain amount of electronic modification. Thirty or forty years ago, viewers might have assumed that there was a certain amount of chemical enhancement involved in the production. I'm old enough to remember.

A SAD NOTE: St. Louis lost two of its Toynbee Tiles in recent days. We only had four. Both of them in the crosswalk at 7th and Market were covered by repaving. The bizarre, mysterious plaques in the street are slowly being lost to time. I wonder how many are still left in Philadelphia, where theory holds they originated. I covered these on three consecutive posts in the early days of the blog and one more a month later. See the background story and first local tile here and my second discovery with more research here. The dear departed tiles and further inquiries may be viewed here and the second photo in this post. If you know of any Toynbee Tiles in your city, please let me know. This deep art must be preserved.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Great shot of one of my favorite buildings in St. Louis.

Olivier said...

superbe, contre-jour admirable, on dirait qu'il est entouré d'or (un super D-Lighting sur le canon ?)
haughtiness, marvellous backlighting, they would say that he is encircled with gold (a great D-Lighting on the cannon?)

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Awe. Some. Artifacts of the HDR process here make the building look like it's VIBRATING! So cool. Also, I randomly watched the end of Ghostbusters yesterday, which the top of this building is reminiscent of. "Lets show this prehistoric b**** how we do things downtown."

Virginia said...

Holy moly Bob, this is incredible. I don't know what or how you did it but it's just gorgeous.

PS I"m home and already gearing up for my return in about 3 weeks. Culture shock when I hit B'ham. Sigh

magicpolaroid said...

amazing color!

cieldequimper said...

Did I miss the news about an earthquake in MO? It's the first thing I thought when I saw this magical shot!

roentare said...

This is a wonderful glow in this image

Surreal
!