Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday Arch Series

.
I was barely able to come up with an Arch picture for today. Long day at work yesterday, tired and spacey at the end and left my Macbook at the office. My backup drive at home has a Firewire connection and my old Windows laptop doesn't have that kind of port. Whine whine whine. This pic was on the old Dell. Not great but it will do.

This photo was taken from across the Mississippi in E. St. Louis, Illinois. I was standing on Eads Bridge, our oldest bridge across the river. You can walk all the way across, which is a pretty cool thing to do. It gives some sense of scale between the Arch and the rest of downtown.

8 comments:

Olivier said...

en effet avec cette vue, on voit l'importance et la taille de l'arche. superbe vue

was with this view, we see the importance and size of the arch. superb view

Layrayski said...

Very nice view leading towards the arc.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Bob I'm amazed. It's the second week in a row that you say you think you have no "postable" material for your Thursday arch series and both last week's and today's shots are remarkable.

Last week's because the perfectly aligned perspective gives us no idea at all of what we're looking at and this week's because it's the first time ever (I think) that I get to see the Arch in situ, i.e. in relation to its full environment - and honestly, I'm not particularly impressed. It's pretty dull.

Today I feel like a child to whom the magician has finally revealed his trick. Happy to know at last but completely flabbergasted that the magician managed to trick him for so long!

Nathalie H.D. said...

Oh, and - maybe I gave you the wrong impression: don't think I've lost interest: I feel like a grown-up now, ready to see more tricks with even more anticipation! LOL

Virginia said...

I'm LOL at Nathalie's bewilderment. That's how people must feel when they finally see Birmingham! HA I like this shot because it gives you the feeling that travelers must have as they ride into town and see the Big A for the first time. And stop that whining. You're photos are always terrific!
V

cieldequimper said...

It's huge! Dwarfing downtown. What was this about this picture being barely good enough?

M. Givens said...

I agree with what Virgina mentioned. You feel like a visitor to the Gate Way to the West. Great shot for ad, plus I like the lamp post shot on the bridge itself. Great pic for a tired day. Whine whine go away until another day! smile!

STLrealtor said...

One of the coolest Arch view I have ever seen. Thanks