Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Meriwether Lewis Gets Wet

.
Spring means high water on the Mississippi River as seasonal rain and snow melt from up north reaches is us. My preferred water meter is the statue of Lewis and Clark emerging from the stream on the Missouri shore near the Arch. I've illustrated this on the blog before. Here's a post from when the river level was average - Clark and the dog are able to breathe and their boat is afloat. On the other hand, during the big flood of March-April 2008, only Lewis' hat and lower sleeve stayed out of the Big Muddy. It's all part of life on the Mississippi.

TOMORROW:
Thursday Arch Series

8 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I had missed the first post because I probably wasn't blogging yet ;-). This is amazing, fancy never seeing this great statue of the hero because you don't know it's lurking in the water!

Virginia said...

That's an amazing shot B. How did you hold onto it for a year??? I'd have thrown that one up the next day. Love the water. Just gorgeous.
V
PS Thanks for the link. I've printed off some of it.

Wayne said...

Nice one Bob.

Bob Crowe said...

Virginia - this shot was taken just a few weeks ago. The totally submerged one was March 2008 and the photo where the statue is high and dry was November 2007.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Great series of photos. Love the swirls n patterns in this one. I also like how he looks silver here, and coated in river mud in the more submerged version.

Stefan Jansson said...

Wow, amazing is the word.

Victor said...

Excellent. I remember the other photos as well. My recently departed cat was named after Grinder's Inn where I found him. It's the place on the Natchez Trace Parkway in middle Tennessee where M. Lewis committed suicide (supposedly).

Miranda McAfee said...

Sure catches the eye! It's amazing to think there is that much change in the water level.