Tuesday, May 26, 2009

At The Gypsy Caravan

.
The rain held off enough yesterday for me to shoot one of the two events to which I was invited. Showers moved thought the area all day. The Renaissance Faire is on again next weekend and will have to wait. but the other photo op was a treat.

The Gypsy Caravan, an annual fundraiser for the St. Louis Symphony, has been going on for 37 years. Never been before. it's a gigantic flea market where you can buy anything from the ridiculous to the sublime. I was reminded that gray days are great for small scale photography: saturated colors, no harsh bright spots and shadows, no squinty eyes. I wandered from vendor to vendor, uttering my magic words: "Hi, I'm doing volunteer photography for the Symphony." They opened all doors.


BTW, I'm very happy with this picture. Kind of Diane Arbus-y, although it's in color. There is a growing set of pix from the Gypsy Caravan on Flickr here.

TOMORROW: trinkets and figurines.

8 comments:

Virginia said...

Bob, Just got home from "Lost in Paris I" I almost got to photograph about 8 "strangers" at the police substation! Not to worry, I was only blocks from the apt. by then. This won't be the last "lost"time I'm sure.
V

Olivier said...

deux beaux portraits, sympathique qu'elles posent pour toi.
two nice portraits, nice which they put down for you.

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

Well done, Bob. I like the portrait very much. They look so optimistic and cheerful.

Buenos Aires Photo

Victor said...

Yep, I though of the Arbus twins photos immediately.

Jilly said...

I don't know the Arbus twins photos but I love all the stripes - works so well. Thanks for visit today Bob. You are so right, that girl had such a Gauguin look about her. It didn't occur to me till you said it and then I really saw it.

cieldequimper said...

Yes, you're right, it's a great photo with so much to look at. Doesn't the law require you to obtain the person's consent before putting their photo up on a website?

Virginia said...

Bob,
Well I"ve not mastered preposting on Paris time or I was up too late and put the wrong time in. I have half a pain au chocolat that I bought for my breakfast but it will be gone so fast I won't be able to shoot it! Maybe later.
v

Nathalie H.D. said...

Mother and Daughter I presume ? Amazing how the features are the same yet slightly different!

Great portrait indeed.