Saturday, May 9, 2009

Artists' Portraits: Frances Kite at The Laumeier Art Fair

.
There are two big annual outdoor art fairs in St. Louis. One opened last night at Laumeier Sculpture Park, which is a special place. We went directly to see an old friend, Frances Kite from Lawrence, Kansas, who makes exquisite cloisonne jewelry. Some of her work is in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington. We met her and her husband, Dwain Workman, at the first of these fairs, perhaps twenty years ago. Workman is a painter, sculptor and wood craftsman of great originality. We have several of his - well, they can't be categorized but they hang on walls - in my office.

My wife does not have jewelry lust. I don't think she owns a diamond and has no interest in them. However, she's bought a couple of Kite's gorgeous pieces over the years. She saw a new work last night that drew her in and, well, Mother's Day in the U.S. is tomorrow and we had a good month at the ofice in April and it's simply beautiful and why not. St. Louis, get out to the fair this weekend, go meet Frances and buy her stuff. You won't be sorry.

TOMORROW: more from the art fair.


3 comments:

Sharon said...

Those are beautiful pieces. I love them. I'm not much on precious stones but I do love unique and hand crafted jewelry. When I was working in St. Louis, I went to the Laumeier Art Fair and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, my close friend has a photo he bought there and it hangs today at his cabin.

cieldequimper said...

What an artist! Those really are intricate and unique pieces.

Virginia said...

Sorry I didn't get by yesterday. Early ballet recital! HA
Kate's work is lovely and so is her portrait. I'm glad Mrs.C got a bauble for Mother's Day. She's earned it I'm sure!
V