Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Worst of Us

.
There is a neo-Nazi convention in the area this weekend. They held a pathetic little rally under the Arch on Saturday afternoon. The police, in effect, fenced them in and kept the public at a distance. There were not many of them. Only a handful of spectators watched in the steady light rain. In the bottom picture some of them offer their reaction.

I wondered whether I should post this. In the end, I thought that we need to be reminded that this horror still exists in our city and country. Revealing its existence was the right thing to do, despite its repulsiveness.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, we attended a riveting performance last night of Berlioz's La Damnation de Faust by the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. Marguerite's inherent goodness was rewarded, Faust's sins were terribly punished but Mephistofeles, the deep core of evil, was triumphant. Where's the lesson in what I saw and heard today? In any event, nobody but nobody writes glorious high-art bombast like Hector Berlioz.


7 comments:

Sharon said...

A very scary bunch!!

Virginia said...

You were right to post these Bob. Thye're pathetic little creeps. Somebody needs to load em up on a bus and drive them to the Holocaust Museum in DC! I'm afraid I would have resorted to what the guys in the bottom photo were doing. Sometimes actions speak louder than words!HA
V

Colin said...

taht's so bizzare to me, that this kind of ideology can sustain itself even today. Virginia is correct: it is our duty to point this stuff out. Thank you, Bob

cieldequimper said...

:-( but yes I agree you are right to post them. Thank goodness for opera!

Pat said...

I like the STOP sign in the second photo. very symbolic.

I do love the fact that we live in a country that allows people to have a voice. And in a country that recognizes there voice to be very wrong.

Michael Burks said...

Good work St. Louis. I'm sad even a 100 people came out to counter protest. All these losers want is attention. It would have been funny if nobody showed up. It would have been them and about 12 "fans".

Gregg said...

I feel sorry for them, actually. How can you go through life with such hate?