Sunday, August 31, 2008

STL CDPB On The Road: Not the Rainforest, Not Seattle - Tacoma!

.
On our way back to Seattle from the Olympic Peninsula. we stopped in Tacoma, Washington to visit the Museum of Glass, a very cool place to see and learn about art glass. The Seattle - Tacoma region, perhaps because of the fame of Tacoma native Dale Chihuly. The building's architectural signature is the tilted cone that contains the Hot Shop, an amphitheater surrounding a set of glass ovens and work space.

WHAT WE'RE DOING TODAY: meeting an old friend for brunch at Lowell's, a local institution overlooking Elliott Bay, and then going to the Seattle Art Museum.

TOMORROW: CDPB monthly theme day - sister cities

SPECIAL THANKS to Corinne of Forks, Washington CDPB and her husband for their hospitality when we visited their delightful forest town a couple of days ago. You can see what I actually look like here.

7 comments:

Eki said...

this is an exquisite black and white photo. I fell in love instantly with it when I saw the thumbnail view. Grand architecture too. Thanks for sharing this.

Wayne said...

I agree, it is a great shot. I don't think I've been to Tacoma since this museum opened. But I have seen displays of Chihuly's work in Tacoma. In a train station, I thought, but I could be imagining that.
There is a smallish public piece created by Chihuly in Vancouver on Bute St.

Virginia said...

Holy Ice Cream Cone! We better get some inside shots as well. You're going to love photographing the glass blowing etc. I hear the Arch is a little jealous of this shot.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is an amazing shot! The b&w really fits there!
Beautiful photo!

Diederick Wijmans said...

What a great b&w!!
I like you other photos very much as well!

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Be-you-ti-full light and contrast here. Sounds like a cool place to visit. I'll have to point Mitchell to your posts from this trip - he should still be on the train, headed that way.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I echo everyone this is by far and away one of the most oustanding shots I have senn I the cdp since joining.