Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Portraits of St. Louis Artists: Danielle Spradley


She looked up at me as I took this picture with an expression that seemed to say, "Excuse me? I'm trying to get some work done here, okay?" However, Spradley, master printer and shop manager at Evil Prints (see the first post in this series about Tom Huck, the proprietor), could not have been nicer about letting me photograph her at work. In this picture, she is using tools and techniques similar to Huck but she has a very individual style. Her images remind me of the original pictures of the aliens in War of the Worlds as revised by R. Crumb (one of my cultural heros) and remixed by Marcel Duchamp. Check out her work here and here.

That's all for St. Louis artists portraits for now. Let me know if you liked the series. I've got a couple of leads and it may return on an irregular basis in the future.


WHAT WAS GOOD AND BAD IN MY DAY TUESDAY:
Good - I got my precious Canon 5D back from the factory service center after the third repair for the same problem. It $%#^@ well better keep working this time. Bad - I had to talk to more crazy, annoying people at work than anyone should (and I never even looked in the mirror.) I guess I signed up for it.

TOMORROW:
The Thursday Arch Series Returns.

13 comments:

Sally said...

It's a great portrait (one among many)

Virginia said...

Printmaker with an attitude! She's great and and the look she was giving you could stop traffic. Actually the Evil Prints website is entertainment in itself. Sorry to see your portrait series come to a close, but tomorrow's Thursday (remember?) and your Arch series will be back.
PS Bobbi says to tell you that she misses you.

Anonymous said...

You never did tell us what the problem is or was with your Canon.

I like the portrait of this young lady.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Richard said...

Sorry there's no more. I've been enjoying the artists - both your images of them and their images.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Dug the series. St. Louis is such a cool place when you know where to look! I think my favorite portrait objectively would be this one or Craig Downs.

Kate said...

Another great photo.

ananda.tashie said...

Really fantastic! You seem to truly capture the essence of the individuals in your portraits.

Jilly said...

Love your take on her expression. Her work looks interesting. Blue fingernails seem to be the 'in' thing'.

Loved this series. Look forward to more of your wonderful portraits in the future.

My favourite portrait, not that you asked, is Stan Chisholm - but all were great and ditto the commentaries. Glad you got your camera back.

Anonymous said...

The eyes have it! Awesome series. Thanks for the beautiful compositions, and for introducing us to some interesting Saint Louis artists.

Virginia said...

Well, since everyone is voting, mine is a tie between Tom Huck and Sarah Paulsen, BUT... I liked each and every one. They all came across as the individuals that they are and you framed each one with a backdrop of their work and their environment. A collection you should be extremely proud of. Enjoyed the ride!

Knoxville Girl said...

If you ever get tired of lawyering, you have a future in portraits. I've really enjoyed this series.

Mama Nae said...

Really enjoyed this series... would love to see more like it!

Anonymous said...

This has been a fantastic series - not a duff portrait among them. Superlatives fail me - not because there aren't any, but because there are so many and they're each crowding the others out! Brilliant stuff.