Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Land's End

More from Valley Park last weekend. I chose the top picture just because I like the color and graphic quality. Below, a Missouri Highway Department employee works on the sandbagging crew along I 44. The bottom picture is lands end, the point on State Highway 141 where you could go no further.

Several commenters expressed concern for our area and for my home, for which I thank you. The photos are dramatic but the flood affected only a very small portion of the metropolitan area. We are partly surrounded by two huge rivers, the Missouri and the Mississippi. They came close but did not spill over. Although hardly a creek, the Meramac is a much smaller river in the southwest and southern suburbs, flowing into the Mississippi. Only the low lying areas along this river that were not protected by a levee had problems. These pictures were all taken last Saturday afternoon. By Monday morning rush hour, the water had dropped greatly and Highway 141 was open again. Even the traffic lights were working. Good photography subject, though.

TOMORROW: Thursday Arch Series (Damp Division)


2 comments:

Pat said...

Ohhh, I'm so happy that you are alright. I've been listening to the news up here in Ontario and wondering how all of our blogging friends are doing.

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo, My Photos.

erin b said...

Ah, even captured some of the townies doing their part by standing near flood waters. Helping hands indeed.