Saturday, February 2, 2008

Small Bird With Attitude

Yesterday was a very gratifying day for this blog, breaking all its records. What could I ever do to top it? 316 unique visitors, 551 page loads, 28 comments and a little feature about the blog on the local paper's web site (which undoubtedly helped the numbers). And the blog's total visitors to date cracked 20,000 last night. Whew.

So, back to the salt mine, as we say at my office. Here's a little character for you. While we were out looking for eagles last weekend, we saw hundreds of these gull-like birds (never found out the name) hanging around the Mississippi. The biggest group was on the ice just below a big lock and dam. This guy seems to have an attitude, strutting over a frozen river covered with souveniers from his or her friends. Spending a day like that would tick me off, too.

TOMORROW: Mardi Gras in St. Louis. We have one, you know.

7 comments:

Andree said...

I'm pretty sure this is a Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis). Everything is right for that species: the black on the beak, the tail color. But I can't tell if the legs are yellow or not. But I'm pretty sure. They live inland. And it's a great picture of him!

Mo said...

Great shot.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Cute gull shot! Looks like yellow legs, prolly, to me.

Mitch said...

I love gulls, they are so indignant. I grew up on Lake Michigan (Racine & Kenosha, WI) and loved watching two gulls fight over the same light pole.

Thanks for the pic, it reminds me of home.
- Mitch

Ming the Merciless said...

Not to mention, he's probably hungry, naked and cold. :-)

I would be coping a 'tude too.

Troop 1309 said...

Congrats on the paper website! 20K visitors is awesome!

I agree about seagulls, they can be a headache.

Olivier said...

fĂ©licitation pour l'article sur le site internet. tu dois ĂȘtre content.

Congratulations on the article on the paper website. You have to be pleased.